Gone are the days when the concept of work from home Mothers was frowned upon in societies. Now more and more mothers are opting to stay and work from home.
As a mother, can you really work at home? Being a mother comes with many responsibilities and expectations, and if you add working at home, would this be too much for you to handle? Fortunately, this is possible. It may be hard at the start, but it gets easier as you go along.
The good news is that there are a lot of amazing opportunities for work from home mothers. If you are a mother to young children and have decided to venture into home-based jobs or home businesses, remember that the key is to know how to strategize. This includes managing your time, and children, well. Identify and create “time pockets” when you can work with the least distractions. Multi-task simple tasks and maximize your productivity while working by using the right tools and equipment.
Here are top 5 ideas for work form home mothers:
1. Blogging. Working at home as a blogger can be lots of fun. In fact, many prominent women bloggers are actually work from home mothers. Blogs on motherhood and parenthood do have a solid audience. Do think of this target audience when writing. In blogging, there are various ways to earn–ad postings, pay per post, reviews etc.
2. Writing and Editing. If you have a flair for writing, try your hand at freelance writing and editing for website content. Generally, the pay is quite good compared to other online jobs. If you have technical skills, you can also earn more when you do website management or website design and maintenance. Translation and transcription services are also available.
3. Virtual Assistant. This refers to a variety of administrative tasks — from answering emails, data entry, executive assistant and customer service functions, etc. If you have previously worked in an office setting, all these tasks will be familiar to you. Virtual Assistant is a popular profession taken up by work from home mothers. [Learn more about how to become a Virtual Assistant]
4. Arts & Crafts. Before you consider this venture, check if you can organize your home to accommodate your materials and equipment. You need to work in a space with the least distractions, a space that will encourage the flow of your creativity.
5. Online retail. Study the trends in online selling and search for a reputable online selling platform. Ensure that you have the ability to set up necessary payment systems. Improve on your website–make sure it is attractive and user-friendly to increase traffic to your website. Use search engine optimization techniques to drive online buyers to your site.
At the end of the day, you need to have expectations that are realistic. A mom working from home will face many challenges, but if focus on the fact that this is the chance for you to have more time with your children, you will be more motivated to work this thing out. And once the business have stabilized, work from home mothers will have the best of both worlds.
Learn more about how to work from home.